A library card allows you to take advantage of our many services. Learn here everything you need to know about its functions as well as how to register for a library card and how to renew it.
For HHU students, the HHU Card serves as the library card, which means that they do not need to register for a library card.
(Update 18 October 2021)
You can apply for a borrowing card on site in the Central Library from Monday to Friday, 09am – noon.
You are also welcome to submit your request for a borrowing card by e-mail.
To register, you do need
- a completed, hand-signed application form,
- a photo of your valid identity card (front and back), or a photo of your passport and confirmation of registration from the Residence Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt), which must not be older than 1 year*
- and, if applicable, a photo of your student card or enrollment certificate
Please send these documents to: email@example.com
We will exceptionally send your library card by post.
*Alternatively, you can make an appointment with us to pick up your loan card and present your ID card at the time of pickup.
For patrons who do not study or work at a German state-run university, an annual fee of €15 is charged per calendar year. The fee has to be paid at the automatic pay station in the foyer of the Central Library.
- Library cards beginning with the letter “E” must be renewed every year. To allow you to use ULB Düsseldorf without any restrictions, you’re usually able to renew your library card from 1 December for the following year. Alumni are exempt from this rule.
- Library cards can currently only be renewed online. Other patrons, who are exempt from the annual fee of €15, will need to email a scan of their proof of exemption to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll notify you via email as soon as we’ve renewed your library card.
- Immediate renewal is also possible (fees apply).
- The loan period for borrowed items ends on the date that your library card expires.
- Members of all universities in Düsseldorf, in addition to all persons with a permanent residence in the Federal Republic of Germany
- Guest students, cross-registered students and auditing doctoral students as well as school students (registration form)
- A valid German ID card or passport together with a certificate of registration and residence (Melde- und Aufenthaltsbescheinigung) from the Residence Registration Office (no more than 1 year old)
- Certificate of enrolment (students)
- Registration forms (optional):
Non-members of HHU
HHU non-academic staff
HHU academic staff
If you’re under the age of 18, you’ll need to get your guardian to sign the registration form and also present their valid ID.
- Library cards are issued at the Central Service Desk on the ground floor of the Central Library (Building 24.41).
- No fees apply for members and affiliates of HHU and other state higher education institutions in Germany.
- For patrons who are not studying or working at a German state higher education institution, an annual fee of €15 applies per calendar year. This must be paid at the pay station in the Central Library foyer.
- Please complete and sign the change of address form and submit it to us. If your library card is blocked due to relocation, please present valid ID or a current registration certificate (Meldebescheinigung).
- HHU students please contact the Student Services Centre (SSC) for change of address.
- First of all, have your library account blocked immediately. Please contact us directly about this.
- A replacement card will be issued upon presentation of photo ID.
- A fee of €10 applies for the issue of a new card. This must be paid at the pay station in the Central Library foyer.
- HHU students should contact the Student Services Centre (SSC) in case they lose their HHU Card.